Getting divorced is more stressful than most people may realise
Getting divorced is more stressful than most people may realize. Even if you have initiated the divorce proceedings, you are still going to go through some major adjustments, and this can play havoc with your health and immune system. Stress plays a huge role in weakening your immune system, so you need to take steps to prevent getting sick emotionally or physically. It’s not uncommon for people to fall prey to serious illnesses as a direct result of getting divorced so please guard against this as though your life depends upon it.
Handy Tips to Get You Through the Divorce
- Exercise often: Exercise is the best way to elevate your mood so get active right away. It will take your mind off of the drama of the divorce, and you will feel much better emotionally and physically. There are many forms of exercise to choose from, but the key is to get moving asap.
- Look for support: Find a good friend that you can offload on. You need to talk about your feelings so that you can move forward as quickly as possible.
- It’s okay to cry: Crying does wonders for the soul as it allows you to get rid of emotional baggage. Don’t let your ego prevent you from having a good cry as crying will help you to get back in the zone sooner rather than later.
- Divorce is a business like any other: Leave your emotions at the front door when you meet with lawyers and your soon-to-be-ex. The more emotion and drama you introduce into negotiations, the more out of pocket you will find yourself. Lawyers charge by the hour so make your points succinctly.
- Get some quality quiet time: Find some and a place daily where you can be alone to gather your thoughts.
- Sleep: Good quality sleep is important during this time as you are going to be physically and mentally drained. Try to get 8-9 hours quality sleep so that your mind and body can heal. Don’t overdo the sleep though as this can be a symptom of depression.
- Ramp up the fun in your life: This does not mean trashing your name every weekend at parties, it means enjoying quality fun with quality people. Try to watch some good comedies, go away for the weekend or visit with good friends. The better experiences you create for yourself, the sooner you will be able to move on from the divorce.
Drop the Baggage
By implementing the above strategies, you can give yourself the best possible chance of coming through your divorce in one piece. The most important thing is to leave the baggage behind
Disclaimer : This article provides basic information only and is not a substitute for a professional or legal advice. It is prudent to obtain legal advice from a family lawyer.