women go through a myriad of emotions and trauma after getting divorced.
how to deal with these issues
There are so many thoughts that run through their minds at this time and this can lead to depression and other emotional turmoil that does eventually take its toll if left unchecked. Here are just some of the issues that women face after getting divorced:
- Moms especially have a tough time as they now have to juggle work and parenting on their own.
- The shame of getting divorced.
- Having to deal with the fact that the divorce was due to another woman (if applicable)
- Loss of family unit.
- Loss of extended family and friends.
- Resentment towards the ex husband.
- Fear of failure in a new relationship.
- May have to make some tough choices regarding a career and bringing up kids on their own.
- They may feel betrayed by their ex.
- A sense of loneliness.
The first step is to acknowledge that you are divorced and that you have to move on. The relationship did not work and there is a better life out there for you, be it alone or with another partner. Many women have gotten divorced and have gone on to life healthy, productive and fulfilling lives.
- If you are a single mom, look for friends to provide a support structure for you. Friends love to help when the chips are down so lean on them. They can help babysit, lend an comforting ear and even help you with chores. ‘
- There is no shame in getting divorced. It takes a strong person to move on from a relationship that is not working.
- Dealing with a 3rd party is a tough one. Try to reconcile the fact that he never loved you and that there is a better experience for you out there.
- In most cases, you will keep the children so you won’t experience loss there. When the kids are with your ex, you can pamper yourself and enjoy a bit of “me” time.
- You will lose the companionship of some friends and family members. Some people will side with you and some with him. What you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts.
- Do not resent your ex. He was put in your life for a reason and that is for you to grow. You have now grown and can use the learning to gain better experiences for yourself.
- As long as you don’t take old bad habits and baggage into the new relationship, you have every chance of living a good life with your new partner. Forget the past and look to the future.
- Another tough one, if you were a career woman while you were married, this may have to alter somewhat once you are a single mom. Your kids will feel disrupted after the divorce and will certainly need more of your attention. This does provide another opportunity for you to lean upon your new support structure.
- While you may feel betrayed by your ex, remember it takes 2 people to spoil a marriage. Look at what mistakes you made and resolve not to repeat them.
- While you might feel lonely, you will have more than enough to keep you busy with your new life. Get involved 100% in whatever you do and time will do the rest. Before you know it, you will have forgotten about your ex and will be so busy enjoying your new life.
Disclaimer : This article provides basic information only and is not a substitute for a professional or legal advice. It is prudent to obtain legal advice from a family lawyer.