not all separating couples consider divorce as an immediate option
here are some helpful tips for separating couples:
Some just want for the meantime a period of separation and not sleep together under one roof. Still, for these couples, a major concern is ownership and administration, f properties.
- Gently inform the children about the intended separation. Monitor closely their behavior and emotional stability. Be in touch with school authorities.
- If there is a risk of family violence obtain passports for yourself and the children. Transfer the family pet to a safer place.
- Make a list of your assets and liabilities. Be informed about the valuation of each property. This is in preparation for the financial agreement.
- Close joint accounts and open a new one under your name.
- Withdraw from the joint account your share of the money which you earned through your own efforts.
Secure materials of sentimental value to you like photo albums, heirlooms and jewelry. If the car is registered under your name, secure the keys.
Inform the utility and credit card companies and other institutions of the change in your account information and circumstances. Close all joint billings and have a separate one for you.
These tips may not be applicable to all separating couples.Not all actions may be appropriate in your scenario. To make sure you are doing everything in the right way, contact our family lawyers.
Disclaimer : This article provides basic information only and is not a substitute for a professional or legal advice. It is prudent to obtain legal advice from a family lawyer.